Saturday, December 13, 2008

Photos from Thursday and Friday

Now that I'm back at home with a faster internet connection, I thought I would post a couple photos....

This is the group of young men who visited with Samuel in dialysis on Thursday. They had a great time playing Risk. Thanks for coming, guys!




This second photo was taken the next morning while we were in pre-op with Samuel. He is sporting a nifty thermal hat designed to keep one's head warm in the cold operating room. He put it on and was being goofy.


We had had some snow and ice overnight and things at the hospital were running late as a result. Tom, Samuel, and I played Skip-Bo to pass the time. Samuel was happy and relaxed during the 3-hour wait. When it finally came time to go to the OR, I suited up in a special outfit and walked alongside as they wheeled him down. He had picked up an issue of Reader's Digest in the waiting room and was reading me jokes from it as we went down the hall. When we got into the operating room, he had me read jokes to him for a few minutes while they got him arranged on the table. They started administering the propofol to put him to sleep and at the last second before he was out, he said cheerily, "Bye, Mom!"

Three hours later in the recovery room, I sat with a very different young man, who was focusing all his energy into staying relaxed in the midst of great pain.

Let's all remember the happy, smiling Samuel and pray that he is with us again soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is much to admire about your handsome young man as he perseveres through this "adventure." He, and all of you, are often in my thoughts, which I pack liberally with healing wishes.

Lydia said...

I really hope he feels better, and I'm glad that all went well through the snowstorm and the electricity problems up here. Give him my best wishes that he gets better soon. I can't imagine being in his shoes.

lyd