Sunday, January 6, 2008

Day 15

Well, fix one problem and create another.....

Yesterday, Samuel was started on another drug to control his nausea. The fancy medical term for this kind of medication is called an "antiemetic". At the hospital, instead of saying puke, throw-up, or vomit like ordinary people, they call the stuff "emesis". It comes from the Greek word "emein", meaning "to vomit". Just thought you might need to know this someday.

Anyway, this new antiemetic did a great job of curbing Samuel's nausea. Unfortunately, it came with a very unpleasant side effect. Despite being exhausted last night, Samuel had a difficult time settling down to sleep. His legs hurt and they just didn't want to be still. This morning, the restlessness only got worse. It was physical and mental torture for Samuel. He was quite distraught.

From Samuel's description of what he was feeling, it sounded to me like restless leg syndrome. I did some quick reading about RLS and came up with several possible causes that could apply to Samuel....iron deficiency, kidney failure, bleeding from the stomach, and use of some antiemetic drugs. I went to brainstorm with the pediatric resident and while waiting for him to finish a phone call, the doctor that has been working with us on Samuel's pain management plan just "happened" to arrive. I was able to share with him my observations and newly acquired information. He said he needed 10 minutes to do his own research and would come down to the room. Well, it only took him about 5 minutes to decide that Samuel was experiencing a side effect from the Compazine (Prochlorperazine) that he had prescribed yesterday. Thankfully, Samuel hadn't yet had his evening dose. Instead he was given pain medication and Benadryl and soon had significant relief. We were able to spend a pleasant evening watching a movie (thanks again, Ryan!) and even played a board game together!

Some other nice things that happened today....

This morning we moved from our tiny little room to one that is a tad bigger. It will still be a tight squeeze if all the girls come for a visit, but I'm grateful for the extra elbow room.

Speaking of visits, we had a nice one from Grandma Peach and Grandpa Ed today. They brought us a portable Sunbox light that we can use in our room. Samuel and I haven't had any direct sunlight for 2 weeks. I'm eager to get refueled! They also brought me some good food! Thank you!

The other exciting event for today was that I was able to do some laundry in the Ronald McDonald Family Room. Not too exciting for you maybe, but after so many days in the hospital, hot showers, hot food, and clean laundry rank pretty high on my top 10 list. This most recent hospital stint began back on December 6th when Samuel came to the hospital for a kidney biospy which was followed by a nephrectomy the next day. In the last 32 days between December 6th and January 6th, Samuel and I have slept in our own beds only 3 times. That many days away from home causes one to be immensely grateful for the basic amenities.

Speaking of beds, I would truly be insane by now except for the kindness of our dear friend, Mrs. Knox. Very early in this hospital stay, she gifted me with an air mattress and pump. My nights are often short and interrupted, but when I am able to sleep, I sleep very comfortably! Thank you, Katherine! I am forever grateful!

As I type this, Samuel is sitting in bed eating some chicken soup. Wow! We have really made some good progress today! We are one day closer to going home! Praise the Lord!

Change of address:
Samuel Smith
Baird 587

Email link: http://www.fahc.org/General_Public/Volunteers/email.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nanc,
Or should I say Dr.Nancy? Glad to hear things are improving,slowly, but at least they are improving! Funny you should mention Compazine that is the med I had when I was pregnant w/Kelly and could not stop puking they called it "hyper-emesis", to this day (had it last night)i suffer from what I think is RLS!!! My legs feel like pins and needles and the one way to make it stop is to constantly move my legs which is hard when your trying to sleep!! the other thing I do is to raise my legs, I usually have to sleep with them leaning against the wall. So I can totally sympathize with Samuel, lucky for him he dosen't take it anymore.Hope things comtinue to look up.
Love and kisses,
Robin