Sunday, December 16, 2007

Snowy Sunday

Today was a quiet, restful day. The snowstorm has kept many hospital volunteers and some staff at home. Tom also stayed at home today to dig out the driveway. Samuel and I are feeling a bit insulated from the outside world as we watch the snowflakes accumulate on the rooftops outside our window.

Samuel has had some good sleep today. The nurses are only checking his vitals every 4 hours, so he has been mostly left alone to sleep. His creatinine is still inching its way higher, but his kidney seems to be balancing his electrolytes and fluids. His red blood cell count is too low and he may need a tranfusion if it doesn't start picking up soon. He did have an EKG and a chest x-ray this morning to eliminate any heart issues as the cause of the chest pain that he is having. He is still receiving fluids, antibiotics, and pain meds via IV. All his blood pressure and immunosuppressive drugs have been switched over to oral meds. He ate a little and walked a little today, so we are calling this progress.

Abby is also a little better.....stable, but not out of danger. Her mom came upstairs to visit us today. It was great to talk and cry together. Abby is an incredibly couragous young woman. Her example helps me to understand that one's illness or condition or handicap doesn't define them. It is something that they have to live with and deal with, but it is not who they are.

On this snowy Lord's Day, I am at peace. I am getting a clearer picture of what it means to have children with a chronic illness. This is the path that the Lord has asked us to walk and I am confident that He will supply both the grace and the strength to do it. He has used (and will continue to use) many of you to encourage us, feed us, love us, pray for us, and walk through this with us. You will be "Jesus with skin on" for us. I am profoundly grateful.

As I read in the book of Psalms today, the testimony of David and the other writers is clear.....the Lord is faithful, gracious, merciful, righteous, and worthy of praise. He will supply all our needs. Blessed be the name of the Lord!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom and Nancy ,
I will also continue to pray for you and your family . I can not imagine walking in your shoes , but I do know that your faith carries you through , I think of you often . With much love to all Judy Young

Anonymous said...

May the peace of our Lord be with you Samuel.
May the strength of our God be with you Tom.
May the power of the Holy Spirit be with you Nancy.
May the fellowship of believers be with you, brothers and sisters of Samuel.
May the courage of the Saints encourage you all in faith, patience, endurance, good cheer, and the glorious hope we have in Heaven!
I weep for you all in prayer. God is good. He knows. He knows.
I pray for you at night when I wake up. You're not alone. There are angels all around keeping watch. You can't see them but they see you. Remember:
Jesus said, "Ask whatever you need in my name, and I will do it for you." He knows. He knows.
Good night.