Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Samuel is home!

After 13 days in the hospital, Samuel and I are back at home! We are still in wait-and-see mode with the new kidney. Samuel's numbers are continuing to creep upward, but he does not need dialysis at the moment. We will have a better sense of where we are headed after his clinic visit at the hospital on Friday.

Medication trivia....Samuel currently takes 60 pills a day. In addition, he receives 2 injections - 1 daily for a short time, and 1 weekly.

Tomorrow I head back to the hospital with Katie for her dialysis session. Afterward, we are meeting with the transplant team to discuss plans for Katie. Like Samuel, she also needs to have her native kidneys removed. The question is when. Before the transplant? Two weeks before or a few days before? At the time of transplant? There are several options. The trick is to figure out which will be the best one for Katie. She is feeling very ill and has decided she can't manage another semester of college in her present condition. She'd like to have a transplant as soon as possible and then restart school in the fall. We still need to find a donor for Katie.

I'm having a hard time keeping my eyes open as I type this so I should sign off. Can't wait to sleep in my own bed!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad! : ) I hope Abby is doing better, too.

Diane N said...

HALLELUJAH!!!

And Happy Birthday to Esther

Anonymous said...

What terrific news to have Sam home, keep fighting Sam, you are so brave! We hope there's more good news in the coming days. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Cathy, Paul & Matt

Anonymous said...

Praying for Abby as well as Samuel and Katie, and all of you. Please hug Katie for me, she is such a special person!! Percy says 'nose wiggle', I say God bless you one and all. Brenda